Our overall health relies on oral hygiene. While regular brushing and flossing are important, they are insufficient for optimal oral health. Dental problems like gum diseases, bleeding gums, tooth decay, and cavities can contribute to chronic pain and other complications. Also, neglecting dental care can lead to digestive problems and irreversible damage to the tooth. This underscores the essentiality of oral health irrespective of your age.
To attain dental hygiene, scheduling regular visits to a dentist in Dedham, MA, is vital. Read more about dentists and their key role in maintaining oral health.
What do dentists do?
Dentists specialize in diagnosing and treatment of dental problems. They used advanced equipment and technology to perform dental procedures, such as drills, lasers, X-rays, and scalpels. Some of the standard treatments provided by dentists include:
- Root canal treatment
- Teeth whitening treatment
- Correction of crooked and chipped teeth
- Regular dental hygiene care
- Cavities filling
- Removal of plaque
- Repairing damaged teeth
When should you visit a dentist?
It is advisable to visit a regular dentist at least once every six months. Regular dental visits offer the following benefits:
- Preventive care: Routine checkups help in the early detection of cavities, gum diseases, oral cancer, and more. Dental hygienists provide preventative treatments based on early signs to reduce the risk of serious problems.
- Oral Health Maintenance: You should visit a dentist for oral health maintenance. Dentists perform thorough teeth cleaning and address ongoing dental problems related to medical conditions.
- Pain and discomfort: Visit your dentist if you observe pain or swelling that interferes with chewing.
- Teeth sensitivity: If you experience sensitivity or pain sensation due to hot and cold, go to the dentist for treatment.
Different types of dentists to visit for dental care
Similar to other medical specialists, dentists also have specializations in specific treatments.
- General dentists: They provide routine cleaning and primary treatments to fix cavities and more. Individuals can visit general dentists for screening tests and regular check-ups.
- Pedodontics: The pediatric dentist specializes in treating dental issues of children, teens, and adolescents.
- Orthodontics: They focus on the realignment of teeth to improve function. Orthodontics offers some treatments, such as retainers, clear aligners, braces, and custom-made dental appliances.
- Endodontics: These dentists perform root canal treatment and deal with dental complexities such as damaged or fractured teeth.
- Prosthodontics: The dentist helps replace missing or broken teeth to enhance aesthetic smiles. Common treatment options prosthodontics provides include bridges, crowns, dentures, and dental implants.