Orthodontic treatment is a great way to improve your overall self-image. It enhances the beauty of your smile, in addition to oral form, function, and aesthetics.
Cary orthodontist is a renowned dental specialist who provides high-quality orthodontic treatment in the form of dental braces to rejuvenate your smile.
What are braces?
Dental braces are common dental appliances that are customized according to your teeth’s alignment. These devices correct a wide range of orthodontic issues, such as:
- Crowded teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Deep bite, overbite and crossbite
- Overjet (protruding upper teeth)
- Breathing or swallowing problems
- Diastema (spacing between teeth)
- Missing or extra teeth
- Underbite (lower jaw protrusion)
Uses specific to children
- Finger or thumb-sucking habit
- Teeth erupting out of position in the dental arch
Braces use mild, constant pressure to shift your teeth into the desired positions over time. Children and adults can benefit from orthodontic braces, but it is believed to be more effective before adulthood. This is because a large amount of jaw and bone growth takes place during your early adolescence or teenage life. Also, during this age, the bones are more flexible, which takes less time to achieve the desired results.
What are the types of braces?
There are several types of braces, which depend on the severity of the condition and your personal preference. These include:
- Metal braces
- Ceramic braces
- Lingual braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Clear aligners
What are the potential benefits of braces?
The most obvious benefit of braces is a straighter and more beautiful smile. Other benefits include:
- Restore proper chewing function
- Improves speech
- Correct TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder)
- Corrects malocclusion and malalignment, making the teeth easier to clean
- Prevents cavities and potential gum disease
What does getting braces involve?
Orthodontic treatments such as braces involve different steps.
- This is a preparation phase that includes evaluating your oral cavity and the orthodontic problem that needs to be addressed.
- During this phase, your dentist will carefully analyze your medical and family history to determine the further course of action.
- Castings or molds of your dentition will be prepared along with computerized photographs will be taken for analysis
- X-rays of your teeth and jaws are recorded to determine your bone growth
- This phase involves placing the orthodontic appliances inside your mouth and regular dental visits
- Necessary adjustments are made as and when required
- Once the treatment is complete, the appliances are removed and new ones are fabricated (retainers) to maintain the changes made.
Braces are a worthy investment that can enhance your smile and appearance for years to come.